My Daddy

I remember when I was one years old
My daddy smiling at me
As if I were the most precious thing in the world
I remember when I was five years old
So excited for my daddy to come home
Would run into his arms and tell him I missed him
Would wake up in the morning and tell him
I wanna go to work with you, daddy
And he laughed and said maybe, someday
When you’re old enough you will

I remember when I was ten years old
I would kiss my daddy goodnight
And fall asleep knowing
That he was there to protect me
I remember when I was fifteen
When daddy became Dad
When my friends became my family
When I was chasing after love
From guys who would come and go
Dad would come home late
I no longer cared
Goodnight kisses were gone
And I would fall asleep on the phone
With the ones I thought I loved



Now I’m twenty
My best friends are gone
Lovers clumped into a distant memory
Leaving me with faded scars
Forgive me dad I know I’ve done wrong
If only I’d stayed by your side
Living in obedience but in me there
Was a spirit of rebellion
I’ve grown and matured but still I’m struggling
I’m still growing, still a kid
Be patient with me, one day I’ll mature enough
To walk past those ways without a second glance

Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine
After all I’m your girl
Got your DNA, strength to face the world
Soon I’ll be old enough to go to work with you
And I’m gunna make you real proud.

I think I’ve found the one
Praying please let him be the one
Who’ll love me as much as my Dad loves me
Cause I know that even over all these years
Whether I felt close to him or afar
There was someone who was always there for me
Someone who always loved me
My daddy.

Comments