Day 1: plane ride

Monday Dec 31st 2012

Before I left my sister gave me a letter to read on the plane. Somehow I knew just by looking at it that it was going to make me cry.

I think I'm getting old because the plane ride was so rough for me. At first I was so excited to watch all the plane movies and play games, but I ended up face planting into my pillow and falling asleep.

it was only for like 20min max but somehow everyone saw....and I missed very exciting plane events.

such as a man on the plane blacking out? and Grace (she is a nurse) being taken up to first-class to making sure he was okay.

but yeah eventually I remembered the letter. ho man. people should really read more because it makes you into a really good writer. my sister is a total book nerd and so her writing speaks into your soul.

I'm not going to post up the whole letter, but I wanna share bits of it.

so basically before I left for this trip, we were fighting about this suitcase. and we both realized how petty it was. we used to always fight about stupid things like that and we thought we got over this phase but it came back.

she writes: it's so easy to revert back to our old ways...sometimes, I guess the changes in ourselves slowly get undone when we come back to a place that's been unchanged."

dang.....deep. you know how you go on mission trips, conferences, retreats, etc...and you're on fire for God but then slowly it fades away because the environment is different. my prayer for this trip is that each one of us is touched by God and changed. but that during this time our homes would also be changed. that way if our homes and churches are on fire for God, we will continue to be as well.  

she also wrote something deep about pride. background: I let her take the big suitcase and I took the small one because I was like oh man....I can't be fighting with my sister before a mission trip.

"the minute you swallowed your pride and accepted defeat was actually the minute you reigned victorious. The only way you got me to give you back the suitcase was when you gave me the suitcase to give back to you on my own accord. That's what God did when he gave us the choice to love him when he has the full power to make us love him. He fought with kindness and love- thank you for reminding me of that."

yeah....I bawled really hard when I read that part. please pray that we would be able to swallow our prides and love one another on this trip. and for us to realize the God's kindness and love.

she ended the letter with this
"the reason why I am writing you a note is that the past two times I've traveled. You've written me a note to read on the plane. I hope you remember this when you are in Thailand. I hope you remember the full effect that even the smallest of your actions can have on others. Spread the love."

please pray that our actions would speak loudly. especially because of the language barrier. that we would conduct ourselves in a matter worthy of the gospel and be filled with love.




Comments