Encouragement from the past

I found my old journal today and as I was reading it I was encouraged. Reading the entries from my pre-gradschool days before life broke me down - I was so naive and precious then...

praying and writing things like "with humility I pray that I would be prepared for anything"
like HA HA HA omg youuuuuu past Rebekah why did you pray something like that. like did you think that magically POOF God will give you that kind of strength and resiliency without going through the TRIALS AND HARDSHIPS. omg what was I thinking...

I came across one entry that had some bits of advice and was encouraging in the midst of these current difficulties that will make me "prepared for anything". the first paragraph was pretty random and ridiculous...it really did make me laugh..

--
6/6/13

Dear Rebekah,

I hope when you read this again you will laugh. Just to let you know God loves your future husband so much because you are going to be the best wife. seriously. you know it. so have that confidence and don't give your heart away so easily. btw I like this pen..

anyways today you saw the movie This is the End and it made you very grateful for the hope of salvation that you have in Jesus Christ. be joyful always because of this. and be sure to thank God every day. it never gets old. I hope that this is a truth that you will boldly share. and those who are humble in heart will gladly receive.

Did you know that you have the gift of prophecy! use it wisely and to encourage others/ build up the church.

Life is not going to be chill all the time but know that God is always with you. you'll be okay.

Sometimes the difficult situations are necessary. especially to encourage others. always remember that God is good.

I hope that you can also always look forward to each day. God has the best plans for you. like I said He is good!

He is faithful too. so always trust Him.

May He overflow you with love that you may love Him and others.

Faith + Love --> Breastplate
Hope --> Helmet
(followed by stick figure drawing of me wearing the armor)

God will protect you until the very end. that you may be with Jesus forever. with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Love,
Rebekah

--

Earlier, I bashed on my past self for being naive but when I noticed the date of this entry I remembered what I was going through then at the time. It was probably one of the hardest months of my life up until that point. how I was able to write that entry then and trust God is a mystery to me. but in love and wisdom, I wrote this for my future self...almost as if a part of me knew that I would need it later. when the continual hardships of life would test my trust in God and deteriorate the joy. 

My angry rant from two entries ago....the one where I wrote that I wanted to punch God in the face...omg lol... I felt bad about writing that like the next day...but I apologized to God especially when I read that last line "God will protect you until the very end" that part just wrecked me. how much he loves me. I know that God was probably not that upset when I said that because he's above time. He sees me when I'm worshiping him, he sees me when I'm upset at him. He knows it all..

In my pain, I was deceived into doubting God. that's what the enemy does best, deceive. And I gave into it because I just didn't care and was too tired at that point.

but yesterday I was praying, God help me to see the truth. And he answered. and I know I wrote in that bitter entry that I didn't want encouragement. but thank you to those who secretly prayed for me.

The truth always comes out in the end.

Comments