Overcoming unhealthy habits with Gratitude

This is not a well organized concept or thought but something that I'm just jotting down and will probably refine later.

A few weeks ago? I think I was reading one of the bible verses of the day on my bible app before I went to sleep. and came across this verse (I totally don't remember) but as I read this verse I somehow came to this conclusion: huh interesting, a way to fight sin is through gratitude. and then fell asleep.

I'm going to use the words "unhealthy habits" instead of sin because sin could mean a lot of things.

I noticed that this past week I have been not engaging in unhealthy habits. And I realized that since the time I received the prophetic word, my heart and mind have been filled with gratitude. I've been noticing the ways that God has been looking out for me this week and blessing me. Prayers being answered.

As I struggled with unhealthy habits throughout my life. I realized -because my impulse control and ability to meditate on consequences at times are low - that I can't change my habits unless I no longer want to engage in them. I cannot will myself to change. I need to want to change, and not only want to change, but actually experience the lack of desire for things that are not good for me.

When you are already satisfied with something you will most likely not desire after other things because you are full.  My chances of eating a hamburger right after already eating steak are going to be slim. It's when I'm starving for food that I'll seek after that hamburger.

As I was thinking about this, my mind was taken aback to Genesis chapter 3 when the serpent tricked Eve. Perhaps if Eve were satisfied with the fruit she already had or the role that she had in the garden, she probably wouldn't have desired after the fruit or knowledge that was forbidden.

Keeping in mind that all things on this earth seem to be temporary, the practice of gratitude needs to be a regular thing. As regular as eating normal meals. Hmm is that why it is customary to give thanks before meals? Perhaps genuine gratitude is part of the spiritual meals we are to eat in order for our souls or spirits to remain satisfied so we do not look to other things to feed our desires.

Comments